Sunday, March 22, 2009

I am so grateful to have made time in my schedule to attend Maohi Nui's Tahiti Fete Fundraiser last night, March 21, at Aloha Tower Marketplace. Upon arrival at 7:30pm, Kapena was on stage gathering the crowd in preparation for Maohi Nui's group performance. Hosting the evening's line up was none other than, Mental Mele. The event I missed was a performance by the new group Ia Ora O Tahiti Nui. With slightly fewer dancers, they performed this year's Overall Otea from Heiva I Honolulu where they took First Place in the Senior Overall Otea category. Also on stage with Maohi Nui was Heiva I Honolulu's Overall Male Soloist, Keawe McArthur!


There were vendors on-site, including one of the major sponsors, Hinano Tahiti. Manari'i, who has competed at Tahiti Nui International's Heiva I Honolulu, in the solo division just last year, was also a registered vendor, selling his wife's pearl enhanced designed jewelry. Mana, not to be confused with me, also performed earlier in the evening with Ia Ora O Tahiti Nui.

At the event, I even ran into Aunty Geri, Elaine, Kumu Kale, and Nathan, volunteers of Heiva I Honolulu!

Their performance was as usual, well presented! With a pre-show fashion show of Hinano Tahiti designs along side Maohi Nui solo dancers to the beats of Maohi Nui's percussion group, you could actually taste what was to come. Performing otea, couple solo, aparima, and even a kapa, Maohi Nui under the direction of Mervin Lilo in grand form completed the soiree with eventful grandeur.

For more information or contact, visit their websites:

http://www.maohinuipolynesia.com

http://www.myspace.com/maohinuipolynesia

I will be in Tahiti this summer for Heiva and am excited for Mervin and Maohi Nui to be there also, representing Hawaii nei's love and respect for tahitian dance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment