Saturday, March 20, 2010

"Let's show them how we do it," claimed one of the group leaders minutes prior to performance in a nearly 90 person group huddle; and "show them" they did! As did all senior groups competing in Heiva I Honolulu 2010.


With a seat packed Waikiki Shell, four of Honolulu's premier tahitian dance groups took stage to drum beat, music, song, and dance to tell their story. Through the rain, stories of the bamboo man, the life of the pearl diver, a woman's journey unable to bear children, and a story of forbidden love were told. Heiva I Honolulu proved to be an evening of culture and entertainment.

Tahiti Nui International's success of Heiva I Honolulu is a result of overwhelming support from the tahitian dance community, family, friends, event organizers and volunteers, participants and sponsor. In the words of Heremoana Maamaatuaiahutapu, guest judge from Papeete, "this is my land, this is my language, this is my voice."

0 comments:

Post a Comment